Friday, August 20, 2010

What's Wrong with this Picture...?

I found this cute, little crochet motif in the Japanese book previously blogged. I liked it's simplicity, & how it meshes together as you add motifs. Plus, it's a great opportunity to play with colour. So I decided to use every colour (except black, after some consideration) of KnitPicks Comfy (cotton/acrylic blend)  fingering weight yarn in the basket to make Something...

 I worked away one evening while watching "Natsume Yuujincho" with Brendan & achieved the row of motifs at the top of each picture. Next day, I decided to add row 2 (all a-quivver with excitement...). But row 2 didn't want to go on properly. After a lot of fussing & looking in the book, it hit me that I'd connected the whole first row the wrong way :(  What to do...
As you can see in this photo, the motifs need to be connected at 3 points, not 2, in order to make them all mesh together in the charming way that made me want to use this motif in the first place. Hmph... I guess you can guess by the photos what I chose to do. 

Start over, yep. (Small sigh.) Good thing it's a little, 3-row motif. The mis-made one can sit around & remind me to look carefully at the chart before I decide I'm doing it right. It's also a nice, cheerful chain of colour- always welcome :) 

It will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. The edge is angled, like many 8-sided motifs do when put-together (& 6-sided, for that matter). You can see the angling in the photo- the edge  on the right is growing, & if I keep the same number of motifs in every row (which I've been doing), then the left side moves in. It does move quickly, as projects go... I should clarify, since I don't know what this "project" is. The little motifs (they're about as long as my pinky finger- maybe 2.25 inches) only take about 5 minutes to make & attach, so adding them moves along quickly. I also made a glitch in the middle of row 2, attaching a motif on too many sides, which I found on the 3rd row. I muddled with it for a while, then just cut the offending motif out & remade it correctly, which was very easy to do.

I guess the bottom line with this project is that I'm not only indulging a desire to play with colour, but I'm learning a lot- as I usually do from trying something new & making mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment