amigurumi

amigurumi

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Patty's Lace

Well, I had to wait to post this until after my friend Patty's birthday, but then I got so busy that I'm posting it way after! Ah well...

My friend Patty likes the colour combo of black & red, & her home has lovely modern touches that make black & red a natural, so for her birthday this year I decided to make a table runner for her. The motif I chose is from that wonderful book of crochet motifs from Japan. I chose KnitPick's Comfy Fingering yarn (in Black, White, & Hollyberry) because it's easily washed- I feel strongly that it takes something away from a gift if it isn't practical, so I like my friends to be able to take care of things I give them without worrying.

The beginning of a motif project can be a bit nerve-wracking- even if the motifs look nice, will they look nice together? How long should it be? Will the giftee like it? As it all came together, I liked it more & more. It was hard to stop crocheting!


Each motif is about 5" wide,  so although I didn't measure the runner, I estimate it ended-up about 40" long. I had fun alternating the red & black filler motifs, just to add interest.
 I found a matching red & black bag & paper to wrap it in :) and we celebrated her birthday at a favourite Japanese restaurant. I hope she enjoys using it as much as I enjoyed making it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment