Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Tea Cozies

Oh my goodness & Hallelujah! I am nearly done with the tea cosy project. In another post I explained the Tea Cosy Project, but the short & sweet is that I'm making gifts to take to Japan (at the end of June) & hope to send as much as possible (as soon as possible) by mail. Which means that I need to be done with said gifts so I can mail them...

 I hit a wall (which happens a lot when I try to make a bunch of the same thing) which slowed me down a bit. But the latest three are done, along with their matching hot-pads/trivety-things. In fact, the first teapot & cozy are on their way to their recipient, whom we will be meeting in Japan, but lives in the US these days. I thought it would be kinder to send their gifts before they leave for Japan so they won't have to drag them around Japan all summer.
So four are made & the last one is partly done, hooray! I started the project using KnitPicks Swish DK superwash wool in multicolours, & the teal/burnt orange & rainbow ones are in this yarn.Then I hit that wall...
I enjoyed picking out motifs to crochet for the trivets, & that kept me going...
I really like both of these motifs as trivets, as they are dense & cushy & will help retain the heat well. I found all the motifs that I'm using in Edie Beckman's Beyond the Square-Crochet Motifs.

Then I received an order of sale wool from Halcyon & the wall just melted :) I had ordered some Noro Silk Garden on sale in 3 different colourways. Actually, I thought I was ordering the sport weight wool, but it turned out to be the worsted... what to do? The cozies I've crocheted so far are in DK weight... should I try to change the pattern I made for the others...?

That's exactly what I did, basically by picking up a (larger) hook- I used a G/6/4.25mm- and winging it. I ripped a bit but the adaptation came quickly, & being in e heavier weight yarn, the cozy worked-up even faster. yay! The cosy & trivet took just under 1 skein of the yarn (~100 m). Plus, I got to use new, gorgeous yarn almost right out of the box!!
You might be able to see, there are 3 petals around the tea pot knob with the Noro yarn, where there are 4 petals with the DK yarn.
The two sides are slightly different (since I crocheted each side separately & then united them above the handle/spout). But I really like the way they turned out! And only one more to go!!! I really hope that folks like them...

No comments:

Post a Comment